Thursday, January 29, 2009

25 Random Facts About Me

This is one of those Facebook games.


Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. Then choose friends to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you!! If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

Ok, I will take my turn, even though I would categorize this as another "Total Internet Waste of Time" :-)


1. Sometimes people treat me in a condescending way because I am quiet. I think they confuse quietness with weakness or naivete. I find it annoying.
2. It irks me that the mainstream thinks introversion is a defect which needs to be fixed.
3. I have learned some assertiveness skills which have helped me to deal with difficult people.
4. I still want my 45 Dollars back from Bill Gates. (That's what a panel of legal experts calculated for how much Microsoft overcharged for Windows when they were under investigation for monopolistic practices.)
5. I don't like to practice the piano, largely, I think, because the teacher I had when I was a kid was a horrible, negative, abusive person.
6. I am a happier adult than child. Many people remember their childhood as a time of fun and innocence. Not me: I remember it as a time of being an outcast.
7. I hate playing sports where I have to catch a ball or do anything else to any object speeding toward me.
8. The most important things in life are friendship and art. (By "art" I mean all creative arts.)
9. I love all music, except the following: (a)Excessively grand and bombastic symphonic music e.g. Tchaikovsky Overture 1812;(b)Music I have heard too many times already e.g. "Simple Gifts" and variations thereon;(c)Mendelssohn;(d)Rap, reggae and hiphop;(e)Flute and recorder music which is predominantly in a high register;(f)Bad vocalists;(g)Sound which claims to be music but in fact has no characteristics of music (i.e. melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre, form) e.g. Elliot Carter.
10. The recording that I have played the most times over the years (LP, CD & mp3) is Paul McCartney & Wings "Band on the Run".
11. The recording I would keep if I had to choose only one would be the Boston Chamber Music Society playing Brahms Clarinet Quintet in B Minor.
12. My very first LP was The Guess Who "So Long Bannatyne", which was given to me by a friend of my parents whose only reason for buying it was the picture of a '57 Chevy on the cover. I still think it's a great album.
13. Piano music and harpsichord music are like steak and oysters. There are many different kinds of steaks and they can be done in many different ways and I could eat them every day. Oysters are good and fun to eat occasionally but not all the time. 
14. I like any movie in which I am usually thinking "I wonder what's going to happen next". e.g. "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead". A mediocre movie is one where I don't care what's going to happen next. e.g. "Thumbsucker". A bad movie is one where I already know what's going to happen next. e.g. "Talledega Nights". An exceedingly bad movie is one where what happens next is even more boring than what I predicted was going to happen. e.g. "Juno".
15. My favorite book is "Chaos: The Making of a New Science" by James Gleick. I also like other nerdy books about physics and math.
16. I like most animals except loud or mean dogs.
17. My memory is very sparse. I remember only a few incidents from childhood (but for some reason I remember every car my neighbors, relatives, and friends' parents had).
18. I still have most of the plastic car models and dealer promos I had as a kid. Unfortunately I wrecked the ones that would probably be the most valuable if in good condition: a 1968 yellow Corvette convertible and a 1964 baby-blue Mustang.
19. TV News, especially local TV News, is an abomination.
20. I think we have a good president, but I maintain a cynical view that our country basically runs on corruption. Choosing between Republicans and Democrats is like choosing between the blatant criminals and the ineffective cops.
21. I consider myself an Agnostic which means the only thing I'm sure about is that I am unsure. But I do believe God is not capricious.
22. I don't mind the philosophy of Christianity, but I'm really tired of being told that it's the only valid religion. Even the "liberal" Christian Churches imply this.
23. I love the message of the Unitarian Church, but I don't go to their services because the hymns are boring.
24. My favorite Bible verse is Job 38:4. Essentially God says: "Be grateful for the universe you've got because it's the only one I could figure out how to make at the time". I find most any other reply to "Why does life suck" to be phony.
25. If I were rich I would still live modestly, and be charitable. Except I would have to get a BMW. 

No comments:

Post a Comment